My main piece this week is concerning what I have been calling for a long time in diaries and planning and more recently in the advance notices – Forest Church. To be held on the first Sunday of the school holidays – this year on Sunday 28th July.
I am hoping this will become an annual event, and may thus not always be in or even near a forest. I really mean an Outdoor service. Here are my reasons of inserting this into our St Catherine’s worship calendar.
- There is currently much negative news around climate change & pollution and renewable & sustainable agendas. Our children may not be aware of the details but they will hear the ‘tone’ of the discourse. I want to put some positive experiences alongside. I would like them and all of us to enjoy aspects of nature and the countryside as God’s gift for us to not only enjoy but allow it to speak to us, to nurture us.
- The teaching aspect will have its roots in that positive enjoyment of nature – we are more likely to look after that which we treasure.
- We will be following in the footsteps of Jesus who did most of his teaching in the Outdoors.
- Here also is an opportunity for us to learn together across the full spread of the generations more so than is possible in church services.
- We hope the weather will be kind and why not get out in it.
- The service and time spent together will also continue to build friendships.
- For those who don’t like outdoor services – they will have an opportunity to have a Sunday off and enjoy visiting family or to pop into the Anglican Centre for coffee and fellowship there (hosted by Gary and Gabi)
Also !! a few days before this event it will be St Christopher’s who is the Patron Saint of Transportation. So if any of you arrive at Forest Church with or on Bikes / Scooters / Skateboards / Cars / Rollerskates….. I will bless them for the coming year !
- Please get to the Fernsehturm in whatever mode of transport – car or U15/ U7 (U8 if coming from Möhringen or Vaihingen ?), bike or rollerskates
- Please aim to arrive by 11.00 at the latest.
- We will gather near the U-Bahn Stop and walk to the place in the woods where we will worship together.
- The service will last approximately 30/35 minutes and include songs (with guitar and possibly flute), prayers (written by the children), a psalm, a bible reading and the gathering of some ‘bits’ from the walk to the worship space and some stillness.
- After the service people can disperse as they like – those who wish to stay on there is the Fernsehturm, toilets, a Spielplatz and a café/restaurant or bring a picnic.
- by all means bring something to sit on
- if it’s still hot bear in mind (dress for outdoors and bring water)
- it’s 4th July this week – so we pray for any/all Americans who find themselves away from home and family
- we continue to pray for teachers dealing with end-of-year work loads
- and for all suffering stress in the workplace
- we pray for a peaceful resolving of the US/ Iran conflict and the peace that conflict threatens further afield
- we pray for new EU leadership – that Peace and peace-building will be at the top of their agenda
– firstly a big Thank You to all who give regularly or at all and those who make one-off donations too
– secondly there are now hard copy forms available as well as website links for those who want to switch to ‘Planned giving’
– thirdly the next ‘formal’ opportunity to review Planned Giving will be part of our Harvest Celebrations in early October
– finally too an appeal to anyone who has either experience or a passion for fundraising and grant application to join our finance team – you can email them on firstname.lastname@example.org
if you accompany a 10 or 11 or 12 or 13 year old to our services (or have one at home) – would you please drop Kara an email email@example.com
for the next few weeks I would like the St Catherine’s family to learn this blessing please (SST – children too !)
The Lord bless you and keep you
The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you
The Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. NUMBERS 6
(If you find it easier to learn verses set to music, try the Lord Bless you and keep you by John Rutter)
– whether you have been a member of St Catherine’s for a long time or recently joined us, and would as part of your discipleship like to offer your gifts of time and/or skills to St. Catherine’s – please catch up with Kara for a chat
– mentors – befriend and take under your wing one of our new congregation members who are also new to Stuttgart and help them find their feet – please talk to Kingstone or Kara
- Bible Study – WE 03rd July @ 19.30 at the Anglican Centre
- Ladies Night Out on TU 02nd July @ Rote Kapelle – 19:00
- this Sunday we welcome “Tanzkompanie Störling Moves!” in our worship
- Men’s Pub Night on TH 11th July @ the Fischmarkt e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
further ahead still:
- there are now THREE baptism dates in the diary – 21st July / 22nd September / 27th October – if you are an Adult who has never been baptised please talk to Kara about what that might mean for you and check which date would fit best….. and more in the queue…..
- Ladies Night Out also on WE 24th July – Vietwok Stuttgart.
- Forest Church – we will have an outdoor service on Sunday 28th July details above
- Schulanfànger – names to Kara for anyone starting school this September
- Annual Church Picnic – after church on Sunday 8th September details to follow
- Harvest – hosted last year by West Africa, hosted this year by India – Sunday 13th October
- ‘A Harvest of Talents’ – the children (and some adults too please) to lay on a performance evening Saturday 12.10. so get practising – poems / music / reading / reciting / comedy / drama……. what will You bring ?
- Mini Book Sale – Saturday 12.10. afternoon only !
- 2020 trip to Oberammergau: for ticket to the Passion Play (only performed once every 10 years !!) plus one night accommodation estimated at around 400 euros – speak to Christopher or Eric sooner rather than later
- we welcome those new among us and pray they will soon feel at home at St Catherine’s. If you would like to receive the news mail on a regular basis please sign up on the website – top right.
- quite a few new faces and also some baptism families will join us for their special day on 21.07. and 22.09. and 27.10
we have now carried out an accessibility audit:
- a RAMP is available on request
- a LARGE PRINT order of service is available on request
- we are working on the SOUND system – please be patient
our Chaplaincy Safeguarding Officer is Katy Kefferpütz who can be contacted at email@example.com should you have any queries or concerns or feedback
Chaplain – most Mondays:14.30 – 16 and most Saturdays:11.00 – 12.30 and most Thursdays: 930 – 11
If I am not there at these times there will be a very good reason !
Chaplaincy Administrator aka the lovely Lauris – every Thursday: 10.00 – 12.00
I am also at the Centre at other times so feel free to drop in – no appointment needed !
Or DO make an appointment if that suits your needs better.
St Catherine’s Anglican Church does not receive financial support from the German government or the Diocese in Europe. We depend on the generous financial support of those that worship with us to support our ministry.
Thank you in advance for your support !
Your contributions may be paid by Überweisung to St Catherine’s Church:
The Friends of the English Church e.V.
IBAN: DE67 5206 0410 0000 4022 22
Arrangements can also be made for those wishing to give from other countries because they no longer live in Stuttgart / Germany – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org