Some of you, for personal reasons, will remember that this time last year I issued an invitation.
In the Church Calendar, every year, 2nd November is All Souls Day, the day on which we are invited to do three things:
- to remember those who have died – specifically those who have died in the last year – dear ones but also generally……
- to pray for the bereaved – specifically those recently bereaved – but also generally…..
- to reflect on our own mortality and the fragility of life
- generally for those who’ve died and those who have been bereaved
- generally for our world and those who’ve died due to conflict and violence and poverty and preventable diseases
- specifically for those who give me a name (name of deceased plus your name – more info such as a date or as friend / family…. Is up to you) – please use scrap of paper or email or any other platform that suits….
I will also light a candle for any named persons regardless of how recently or long ago that bereavement happened
and I will include for us all a candle for Daniel (AK) who died in August this year….
feel free to come and join me if you would find that helpful – I shall be there at least an hour
God has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of his glory in the face of Christ.
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us.
Collect for All Souls:
Everlasting God, our maker and our redeemer grant us, with all the faithful departed the sure benefits of your Son’s saving passion and glorious resurrection that, in the last day when you gather up all things in Christ we may with them enjoy the fullness of your promises; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord who is alive and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit one God, now and for ever. Amen.
The Peace for All Souls:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.
Not as the world gives do I give to you.
Do not let your hearts be troubled neither let them be afraid.
The peace of the risen
Lord be always with you.
Blessing for All Souls:
May God give you his comfort and his peace his light and his joy in this world and the next and the blessing of God ……