Following yesterday’s sermon, there is a new book to recommend. It is broadly philosophy meets cultural ethics/ cultural politics. The author is Kwame Appiah and his most recent book is: The Lies that Bind – Rethinking Identity. If you would like a copy of that book please let Kara know (currently 2 requests). It is a book about loyalties and allegiances and prejudices which shape our actions and our values. Reading it I hope will deepen my understanding of the forces at work in society and people today when we all, as a result of globalisation and mass migration, have multiple and at times conflicting loyalties.
This Sunday we have a baptism service and all the children are invited to bring their Baptism Candles with them to church…
Attached here, also for all those with children, is the schedule for services where the children will be joining us in church for the whole service and the registration form for next school year’s Sunday school to help the teachers with their planning. Annualparentletter2019-1 There is a slight update to the schedule compared to that given out at church or by mail last week.
And incase you don’t yet have it in your diaries, the first event mentioned in the parents’ letter – which involves everyone at Church – Forest Church. To be held on the first sunday of the school holidays – this year on SO 28.07.
I am hoping this will become an annual event, and may thus not always be in or even near a forest. I really mean an Outdoor service. Here are my reasons of inserting this into our St Catherine’s worship calendar.
– There is currently much negative news around climate change and pollution and renewable and sustainable agendas. Our children may not be aware of the details but they will hear the ‘tone’ of the discourse. I want to put some positive experiences alongside. I would like them and all of us to enjoy aspects of nature and the countryside as God’s gift for us to not only enjoy but allow it to speak to us, to nurture us.
– The teaching aspect will have its roots in that positive enjoyment of nature – we are more likely to look after that which we treasure.
– We will be following in the footsteps of Jesus who did most of his teaching in the Outdoors.
– Here also is an opportunity for us to learn together across the full spread of the generations more so than is possible in church services.
– We hope the weather will be kind and why not get out in it.
– The service and time spent together will also continue to build friendships.
– For those who don’t like outdoor services – they will have an opportunity to have a sunday off and enjoy visiting family or to pop into the Anglican Centre for coffee and fellowship there (hosted by Gary and Gabi)
Also !! a few days before this event it will be St Christopher’s who is the Patron Saint of Transportation. So if any of you arrive at Forest Church with or on Bikes / Scooters / Skateboards / Cars / Rollerskates….. I will bless them for the coming year !
- Please get to the Fernsehturm in whatever mode of transport – car or U15/ U7 (U8 if coming from Möhringen or Vaihingen ?)
- Please aim to arrive by 11.00 at the latest.
- We will gather near the Bahn Stop (NOT at the tower itself) and walk to the place in the woods where we will worship together.
- The service will last approximately 30/35 minutes and include songs (with guitar and possibly flute) and prayers (written by the children) and a psalm and a bible reading and the gathering of some ‘bits’ from the walk to the worship space and some stillness.
- After the service people can disperse as they like – those who wish to stay on there is the Fernsehturm and toilets and a Spielplatz and a café/restaurant or bring a picnic.
- by all means bring something to sit on
- by all means if it’s hot bear in mind (dress for outdoors and bring water)
- we continue to pray for teachers dealing with end-of-year work loads
- and for all suffering stress in the workplace
we pray for those suffering directly due to climate change consequences
– firstly a big Thank You to all who give regularly or at all and those who make one-off donations too
– secondly there are now hard copy forms available as well as website links for those who want to switch to ‘Planned Giving’
– thirdly the next ‘formal’ opportunity to review Planned Giving will be part of our Harvest Celebrations in early October
– finally too an appeal to anyone who has either experience or a passion for fundraising and grant application to join our finance team – you can email them on firstname.lastname@example.org
if you accompany a 10 or 11 or 12 or 13 year old to our services – would you please drop Kara an email email@example.com
for the next few weeks I would like the St Catherine’s family to learn this blessing please (SST – children too !)
The Lord bless you and keep you
The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you
The Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. NUMBERS 6
– whether you have been a member of St Catherine’s for a long time or recently joined us, and would as part of your integration and part of your discipleship offer your gifts of time and/or skills – please catch up with Kara for a chat
– mentors – befriend and take under your wing one of our new congregation members who are also new to Stuttgart and help them find their feet – please talk to Kingstone or Kara
– CAECG – the planning group meet this week – any offers of catering / other tasks around FR13./SA14.09. to Alison or Eric please
= Bible Study – WE 17.07. @ 19.30 at the Anglican Centre (next week is the last one before the summer break and Bible Studies will resume on WE 04.09.19)
= Women’s Group – We are back to our third Thursday routine so will meet next on Thursday, 18th July from 10 until 12 in the Anglican Centre. Contact Alison firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
= TH 18. – SA 20.07. it is the Bohnenviertelfest – we will have a stand and open the church so swing by…..
= Sunday there is a service at Leonhardenskirche commemorating the bombing and destruction of both that church and ours 75 years ago – go see the exhibition (open TU-FR 10.00-16.00) or attend the service on SU 21.07. @10.00
= there are now THREE baptism dates in the diary – 21.07. / 22.09. / 27.10. – if you are an Adult who has never been baptised please talk to Kara about what that might mean for you and check which date would fit best….. and more in the queue…..
- Ladies Night Out also on WE 24th July – Vietwok Stuttgart. e-mail email@example.com if you would like to join us.
- Forest Church – we will have an outdoor service on sunday 28.07. details above
- Schulanfànger – names to Kara for anyone starting school this September or changing school
- Annual Church Picnic – after church on sunday 08.09. details to follow
- Change of Date Harvest – hosted last year by West Africa, hosted this year by India – on SU 20.10.
- Change of Date ‘A Harvest of Talents’ – the children (and some adults too please) to lay on a performance evening on SA 19.10. so get practicing – poems / music / reading / reciting / comedy / drama……. what will You bring ?
- Mini Book Sale – date tbc. afternoon only !
- 2020 trip to Oberammergau: for ticket to the Passion Play (only performed once every 10 years !!) plus one night accommodation estimated at around 400 euros – speak to Christopher Sloan or Eric Jarman sooner rather than later
we welcome visitors among us – those around for just one sunday and those visiting for a little longer
we welcome those new among us and pray they will soon feel at home at St Catherine’s
quite a few new faces and also some baptism families to join us for their special day on 21.07. and 22.09. and 27.10
- we have now done a disability audit:
- a RAMP is available on request
- a LARGE PRINT order of service is available on request
- we are working on the SOUND system – please be patient
- the organ needs further work and this is not only expensive but also complicated – patience and prayers please
our Chaplaincy Safeguarding Officer is Katy Kefferpütz who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any queries or concerns or feedback
Chaplain – most Mondays:14.30 – 16 and most Saturdays:11 – 12.30 and most Thursdays: 930 – 11
If I am not there at these times there will be a very good reason !
Chaplaincy Administrator aka the lovely Lauris – every Thursday: 10.00 – 12.00 NOT DURING JULY / AUG I am also at the Centre at other times so feel free to drop in – no appointment needed !
Or DO make an appointment if that better suits your needs.
St Catherine’s Anglican Church does not receive financial support from the German government or the Diocese in Europe. We depend on the generous financial support of those that worship with us to support our ministry.
Thank you in advance for your support !
Your contributions may be paid by Überweisung to St Catherine’s Church:
- The Friends of the English Church e.V.
- Evangelische Bank:
- IBAN: DE67 5206 0410 0000 4022 22
Arrangements can also be made for those wishing to give from other countries because they no longer live in Stuttgart / Germany – please contact email@example.com